Neelibhringadi Oil (Neelbringadi Thailam) – Herbal Hair Oil Of Kerala
Neelibhringadi Oil is an Ayurvedic hair oil, used to improve quality of hair, to treat split hairs, premature graying and baldness. This herbal oil is formulated based on Kerala Ayurvedic principles. It is intended specifically for women as an overnight treatment and, according to Ayurvedic principles, should be used every night for a period of six months. The oil is also believed to induce relaxation and restful sleep. The oil is easy to make at home and many of the ingredients are available in the grocery store or through online retailers.
How to Prepare
- Small double boiler
- Small sauce pan or pot
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp amla powder
- One tbsp ground fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp hibiscus
- One tbsp ground bhangra leaves
- 1 tbsp ground brahmi leaves or gotu kola leaves
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sweet almond oil
- 1 tbsp castor oil
- 1 tbsp neem oil
- Strainer or coffee filter
- Air-tight plastic container
- Mix and add all of the Ayurvedic herbs in the interior pot of a small double boiler. Fill the outer pot with one inch of water and set the pot with herbs inside. Do not turn on the heat.
- Heat the coconut milk in a separate pot just before boiling. Pour the coconut milk over the herbs. Cover the pot and let sit for two hours.
- Add the oils to the pot of herbs. Turn the heat on high until the liquid inside the double boiler comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer.
- Stir the oils and let simmer for 2-3 hrs. Do not allow the oil to boil.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow it to cool. Pour the oil through a strainer into a clean ceramic container.
- Add the strained oil back to the double boiler. Heat the oil on low for another 30 mins to remove any moisture.
- Let the oil cool and pour it into an air-tight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
How to Use
- This oil is meant to be used for external application only.
- It is applied over scalp, followed by gentle massage for five minutes.
- Can be applied at night and hair wash can be done in the morning.
- It can also be applied in the morning, half an hour before head bath.
- In small quantities, it can be applied on daily basis.