Potato cutlet, Aloo tikka
Potato cutlet, Aloo tikka
Aloo tikka or Potato cutlet is one of a popular North Indian snack recipe made with potatoes and a mixture of several spices. It is a simple dish and would require only 25-30 minutes for its preparation. It is usually served with chutney’s like green coriander chutney and tamarind chutney. Aloo tikka is also served with spicy chickpea gravy or dried yellow peas gravy called as ragda. Several chaat recipes like tikki chole, ragda patties and aloo tikki burger make use of this delicious aloo tikka for preparations. Have a look at the list ingredients used and the preparation of Potato cutlet or Aloo tikka.
Ingredients used for Aloo tikka or Potato cutlet
- 3 medium sized Potatoes
- ¾ tablespoon of Red Chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of Corn flour (white)
- Bread crumbs as per the need
- 1 teaspoon of roasted Cumin seeds
- 1 or 2 Green chillies
- ½ teaspoon of Garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon of Amchur powder (dried unripe green mango powder)
- 2-3 tablespoon of Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt for the taste
- Oil for shallow frying
Method of preparation of Potato cutlet or Aloo tikka
- Wash the potatoes in running water and cook it in a pressure cooker along with water. Water should be added in the same level as the potatoes. Cook it for 3 whistles.
- You could also follow an alternate method for cooking potatoes, heat them in a pan along with some water. Bring it to a boil and continue heating till the potatoes are soft.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, keep it aside for some time. When it is cold enough, peel off its skin and mash it to a fine paste without any lumps.
- Now, dry roast the cumin/jeera seeds and ground it to fine powder. Also, chop the coriander leaves and finely slice the green chillies.
- Take out a wide open mixing bowl, add the mashed potatoes, corn flour, sliced green chillies, red chilli powder, coriander leaves, amchur powder, masala powder, roasted cumin seeds powder and some salt for the taste.
- Mix it well without any lumps, take out some portion from the mixture and make it to a cutlet shaped disc shape. Make the whole of the mixture into these disc-shaped small pieces.
- Keep the bread crumbs in a bowl, take out one disc-shaped piece and dip it in bread crumbs, make sure that the cutlet piece is well coated with bread crumbs.
- Heat a frying pan or tawa, shallow fry the cutlet shaped potato pieces by drizzling some oil around them. Shallow fry 4-5 cutlet pieces at a time
- Shallow fry it until the both sides attain a golden brown texture.
- Once it is ready, transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve it hot with green coriander chutneys or tomato sauce.