Thinai payasam or Foxtail millet kheer with jaggery syrup
How to make delicious Thinai payasam or foxtail millet kheer with jaggery syrup?
Thinai payasam or foxtail millet kheer with jaggery is a sweet recipe served as a dessert. Foxtail millet is the most important millet variety in East Asia. It stands second in the millet cultivation index and has a long history behind it. These are known by different names like ‘Kangni’ in Hindi, ‘Korra’ in Telugu, ‘Navane’ in Kannada, ‘Thinai’ in Tamil and ‘Thina’ in Malayalam. It is believed to have a positive impact on controlling blood sugar and cholesterol levels. The use of foxtail millets can help in the steady release of glucose and thus it will curtail the rise of blood sugar level. Also, foxtail millets are considered as the least allergy prone and easily digestible food grains around. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Thinai payasam or foxtail millet kheer with jaggery syrup.
Ingredients used in Thinai payasam or foxtail millet kheer with jaggery syrup.
- ½ cup of Foxtail millet / Thinai
- 1 cup of grated Jaggery
- 2 cups of boiled and cooled Milk
- 8-11 Cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon of Raisins
- ¼ teaspoon of Cardamom / Elaichi powder
- 1 teaspoon of Ghee
Buy good quality Thinai or Foxtail millet and other millet varieties on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Thinai payasam or foxtail millet kheer with jaggery syrup
- Heat the jaggery in some water. Once it melts to a brown coloured solution, filter it using a fine sieve to remove the unwanted impurities. Keep it aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a deep frying pan. (use a low-medium flame) Add the cashew nuts and fry it to a light golden brown colour, take is off and keep it aside.
- Now add the raisins and fry it for few minute. As it attains a light brown colour, take it off and transfer it to a bowl for later use.
- In the same pan, add the Thinai or foxtail millets and heat it for few minutes. If required, add few drops of ghee. Once it is slightly hot to touch, take it away from the flame.
- Cook the foxtail millet in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles along with 1½ cup of water.
- In a deep bottom pan, boil the jaggery solution. Once it attains a slight thickness, add the cooked foxtail millets.
- Use a low-medium flame and allow the millet’s to blend with the jaggery.
- Now, add the fried cashew nuts, raisins and the cardamom powder.
- Add the milk and simmer it for few seconds and switch off the flame. (Do not heat much once the milk is added)
- Serve this delicious Thinai payasam or foxtail millet kheer with jaggery syrup as a dessert.
Buy online millet varieties pure healthy order online from www.natureloc.com
Order online homemade healthy spices,curry powders,ayurvedic products from www.natureloc.com