Traditional Mambazha pulissery recipe
Mambazha pulissery is a traditional recipe with a sweet and sour taste, prepared using ripe mangoes.
Mambazha pulissery is a popular recipe among Keralites. Ripe mangoes, thick yogurt or curd and grated coconut are used as the essential ingredients. Typically, the mangoes used are of traditional variety with a unique smell and small size. These mangoes are otherwise known as nattu manga.The grinded paste made of grated coconut, green chillies, jeera, turmeric powder and red chilli powder is used for the gravy. The use of thick curd imparts a delicious taste. Mambazha pulissery is also one of an integral part of Onam Sadhya. Have a look at the ingredients used and the method of preparation of this recipe.
Ingredients required for making Mambazha pulissery
- 1 cup of ripe mango (chopped pieces)
- 1 cup of thick curd
- Water as per the requirement
- Salt for the taste
For grinding to a paste
- 4-5 tablespoon of freshly grated coconut
- 1-2 roughly chopped green chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon of jeera/cumin seeds/Jeerakam
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- 1 medium sized red chilli
- A small sprig of curry leaves
Method of preparation of Mambazha pulissery
- Take the ingredients for grinding in a grinder and grind it with water to form a semi-fine paste. Keep this aside.
- Wash the mangoes in clean water and peel off its skin. Chop it into medium sized pieces.
- Heat the mango pieces in a pan along with 1/4 cup of water and some salt.
- Once the mangoes turn soft (make sure it’s not mushy), add the prepared coconut paste.
- Sprinkle some water and cook it in a low-medium flame for about 3-6 minutes.
- When the raw smell of the coconut paste disappears, add some salt for the taste and mix it well.
- Meanwhile, whisk the thick yogurt or curd to a solution and keep it aside.
- Keep the flame in low-medium range and add the curd solution. Continuously stir the mixture to avoid curdling. Mix it well so that the mangoes will nicely blend with the curd.
- Meanwhile in a deep frying pan, heat some oil and add the mustard seeds. Once it pops up, add the rest of the ingredients for tempering. Saute it for 2-3 minutes.
- Now marinate the curry with the tempered ingredients and stir the contents together.
- Switch off the flame and serve the Mambazha pulissery as a side dish for rice.