Traditional Prawn Roast Recipe
Spicy and rich flavoured prawn roast can be served as a side dish for rice and chapati.
Prawn roast is a spicy seafood recipe popular among the people from the South Indian state called Kerala. The unique combination of spices would speak away the speciality of Kerala seafood cuisine. The use of Kodampuli (Cambodge) imparts a sour taste and it gets combined well with various spices used in the recipe. Also, the use of finely sliced coconut bits increases the flavour. There are several ways for the preparation of prawn roast. Here we are displaying an easy way of preparation of a delicious and spicy Prawn roast recipe.
Ingredients used for marination
- ½ kg of Prawns
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped Ginger
- 1 tablespoon of finely sliced Garlic
- ½ teaspoon of Turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon of Pepper powder
- 1 medium sized Cambodge / Kodampuli
- 1 sprig of Curry leaves
- Salt for the taste
Supreme quality natural turmeric powder, chilli powder, pepper powder etc are available on natureloc.com
Ingredients for making the Masala
- 1 cup of medium-sized shallots
- 1 teaspoon of Coriander powder
- ½ tablespoon of Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of Garam masala
- Cooking oil for roasting
- 2 tablespoons of finely sliced Coconut bits
- A pinch of Salt for the taste
Method of preparation of Prawn roast
- Wash and clean the prawns, keep it aside.
- Mix all the marinating ingredients like turmeric powder, Cambodge / Kodampuli, pepper powder, ginger, curry leaves and salt.
- Marinate the prawns with the above mixture.
- Cook the marinated prawn pieces in a pan, cover the lid of the pan while cooking.
- Add 1-2 tablespoon of water to it and make sure the prawn pieces are not overcooked.
- Typically, the prawn pieces will be cooked by the time the water gets evaporated.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan and add the shallots.
- Saute it in a low flame and when it attains a light golden brown colour, add the spice powders like chilli powder, garam masala and coriander powder.
- Saute it really well and add some oil as per the requirement.
- Meanwhile, fry the coconut bits separately and add it with the above recipe.
- Sprinkle some salt for the taste and cook it for further 10 minutes.
- Using a long handled ladle stir the contents in between and when the contents are roasted enough, transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Garnish it with some coriander leaves and sliced tomato pieces.
- Serve it hot with rice or chapati.