Vanpayar Mezhukkupuratti or Stir fried red peas
How to make delicious Vanpayar Mezhukkupuratti or Stir fried red peas recipe?
Vanpayar Mezhukkupuratti or Stir fried red peas are a delicious side dish for rice and chapatti. The real spicy flavour is from the use of red chilli powder and pepper powder. Vanpayar / Red gram / Red cow peas are soaked in water for 5-6 hours and cooked in pressure cooker for up to 3 whistles. It is then stir fried in a deep frying pan to get the delicious flavour. The use of fresh curry leaves would add up the taste and provides a natural aroma. One or two dried red chillies are also used to get a unique flavour. This recipe goes well with rice and seasoned buttermilk or Moru Kachiyatu. The list of ingredients used and the method of preparation are listed below
Ingredients used for making Vanpayar Mezhukkupuratti or Stir fried red peas
- 1 cup of Vanpayar / Red cow peas / Red gram / Red chori
- 1 cup of water
- 6-7 medium sized shallots (sliced to fine pieces)
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- ¾ teaspoon of red chilli powder/crushed red chillies
- ½ teaspoon of crushed or powdered black peppercorns
- A pinch of mustard seeds
- 1-2 dried red chillies
- A sprig of curry leaf
- 2-3 tablespoon of coconut oil/cooking oil
- Salt for the taste
Good quality Spices, millets, Horse gram, Nuts varieties, Jackfruit products etc are available on natureloc.com
Method of preparation of Vanpayar Mezhukkupuratti or Stir fried red peas
- Wash the Vanpayar / Red cow peas 2-3 times in clean water and soak it for 5-6 hours.
- Drain the red peas and cook it in a pressure cooker along with 1½ cups of water. Keep it for 3 whistles or until it is soft and fully cooked.
- After 15 minutes, once the pressure is decreased, open the cooker and drain the water. Keep the peas aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When it splutters, add the dried red chilli and saute it for few seconds. Once it is semi-fried, add the curry leaves and shallots. Keep the flame to a low-medium state.
- Saute it till the shallot pieces attain a golden brown texture.
- Now, add the turmeric powder and the red chilli powder, stir it for few seconds and add the cooked Red peas or Vanpayar.
- Add some salt for the taste and mix it with pepper powder.
- Stir fry the recipe on a low flame. Occasionally stir the contents to get a delicious Vanpayar Mezhukkupuratti or Stir fried red peas.
- Once the recipe is ready, transfer it to a serving bowl and serve it with rice or chapatti.