Wattu kappa, Unakku kappa payar puzhukku or Dried tapioca and bean with grated coconut.
Wattu kappa, Unakku kappa payar puzhukku or Dried tapioca and bean with grated coconut is a traditional recipe of Keralites.
Normally, non-veg recipes like fish, beef and chicken recipes are served along with dried tapioca dishes. But this dish can also be served with payar or black eyed bean recipes. Red kidney bean and black-eyed bean are the two popular bean varieties in India. These beans have a delicious taste and it goes well with vegetable recipes as well as non-veg dishes. Dried tapioca and black eyed beans are soaked in water for 6-7 hours to become soft. Masala powder can also be used for a real spicy flavour and a unique taste. Small quantities of cumin seeds are used for a unique taste and aroma. Sliced green chillies would give away a spicy flavour. Have a look at the detailed description about the ingredients used and the method of preparation of Wattu kappa or Unakku kappa puzhukku or Dried tapioca and bean with grated coconut mixture.
Ingredients required for Wattu kappa or Unakku kappa payar puzhukku or Dried tapioca and bean with grated coconut.
- 3-4 cups of dried tapioca/ Wattu kappa or Unakku kappa
- 1 cup of black eyed bean/ Red kidney bean/ Payar / Black chickpea
- 1 cup of freshly grated coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds or jeera
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of chopped ginger, garlic mixture
- 5-6 sliced green chillies
- 1-2 split dried red chillies
- 3-4 medium sized shallots
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2-3 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Salt for the taste
Method of preparation of Wattu kappa or Unakku kappa payar puzhukku or Dried tapioca and bean with grated coconut.
- Soak the dried tapioca, dried beans or Black chickpea overnight. Once it becomes soft, drain off the water and keep it aside.
- Cook the bean or Black chickpea separately and transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat a pan in a medium flame and add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Once the oil becomes hot, add the cumin
- seeds, finely chopped ginger-garlic pieces, green chillies and sliced shallots.
- Saute it for few minutes and add turmeric powder, masala powder, freshly grated coconut and stir the contents.
- Now, add the soft tapioca pieces and 1 cup of warm water. Close the lid of the pan and cook it for 25 minutes.
- Once it is cooked, add cooked black-eyed bean and cook it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- When it’s cooked 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and stir the mixture.
- Add the recipe with a tempered stir-fried mixture of mustard seeds, curry leaves, sliced shallots, split dried red chillies in coconut oil.
- Transfer the contents to a serving plate and serve it hot.