Amukkuram – Ashwagandha (Indian ginseng ,Indian Winter Cherry)
Amukkuram -Trittavu (Asvagandha – Aswagandha) Withania somnifera Dunal ,Indian Winter Cherry
Amukkuram Ashwagandha Trittavu consists of dried mature roots of Withania somnifera Dunal. (Family Solanaceae), a perennial shrub, found in waste land, cultivated field and open grounds throughout India, widely cultivated in certain areas of Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan , roots collected in winter, washed and cut into short pieces. It is also known as Indian ginseng, and as Indian Winter Cherry is an important ancient plant, the roots of which have been employed in Indian traditional systems of medicine, Ayurveda and Unani.The other names of amukkuram are Asgandh , Amukira ,Keramaddinagaddi,Vajigandha, Pennerugadda ,Trittavu (ത്രിത്താവ്) ,Askandha.It is a stout shrub that reaches a height of about 170 cm (5 to 6 ft). The erect branched shrub is berry-like in shape and size and bears greenish or lurid yellow flowers and red fruits.
It is an ironic herb as it is a tonic and sedative all in one. It strengthens an exhausted nervous system that can manifest with ‘hyper’ signs such as emotional instability, agitation or feeling stressed-out. It has the dual action of energizing while calming.
Why Indian winter cherry (amukkuram) called Ashwagandha ?
Its name Ashwagandha meaning ‘the smell of a horse’, comes from the fresh root smelling like a horse’s urine, and also perhaps because it is renowned for imparting the sexual stamina of a horse
It grows as a short shrub (35 to 80 cm) with a central stem which branches extend radically minutely stellate tomentose. The flowers small and greenish,ripe fruit is red-orange and roots fleshy,whitish brown,tuberous roots are used for medicinal purpose
Aswagandha (amukkuram) – is one of the best rejuvenating agents in Ayurveda.
Its root an important place in treatment in ayurveda ,inflammation of joints,nervous disorder,rheumatic pain. Dried roots are used for medicinal tonic for cold,cough,hiccup,female disorder,sedative,ulcers etc. It has a anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, anti-stress, antioxidant, mind-boosting, immune-enhancing, and rejuvenating properties. Ashwagandha root has also been noted to have sex enhancing properties and has the ability to restore sexual health and improve overall vitality while promoting a calm state of mind
Aswagandha (amukkuram) Therapeutic uses
Traditionally used in Ayurveda as Rasayana – rejuvenative tonic,to relieve general debility, especially during convalescence or old age,as a sleep aid , to balance aggravated Vata (nervine tonic,sedative), for memory enhancement
- Kakkumkaya – Entada rheedii – African Dream Herb
- Navara rice or Njavara rice baby food – For low weight babies
- Kadukka Haritaki Kadukkai (Terminalia Chebula) Harde whole
- Kudampuli – Garcinia cambogia – Malabar Tamarind
- Milletes – Finger millets,Foxtail millets,Little millet,Kodo millet,Barnyard millet
- Kodo millets – Known as varagu, kodo, haraka and arakalu
- Vetiver roots and oil (Ramacham) Traditional and Medicinal uses
- Ramacham (Vetiver) – Medicinal herb with a supernatural fragrance
- Kallur vanchi (Aquatic Rotula) – Traditional medicine for kidney and bladder stones
- Replace your shampoo – Try Natural Shikakai or Soapnut for healthy shining hair