Bilimbi (Averhhoa Bilimbi) – Facts, Health Benefits, Uses And Side Effects
Bilimbi, commonly known as cucumber tree or tree sorrel, is a fruit bearing tree and is a close relative of carambola. The tree as well as the fruit is popular by different names in different languages. It is quite different in its physical appearance, flavor and uses than that of carambola. Scientifically it is known as Averhhoa Bilimbi.
The tree reaches up to a height of 5-10 m. The leaves are bunch up at the branch tips and are 12-20 m in length. The leaves comprise of 11-37 alternate leaflets with pointed tips. The flowers are yellowish green in color and are borne in hairy panicles.
The fruit is popular worldwide for its sour flavor and is also used as a spice in cooking some of the delicious seasonal dishes.
- Capable enough for eliminating phlegm and reducing heat from the body.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is advised for treating high blood pressure and the treatment is quite effective.
- For reducing the pain of cavities, cucumber tree is used.
- The juice extracted from bilimbi fruit is effective in eliminating cough.
- The fruit is good for treating rheumatism.
- It is effective in treating acne.
Consumption of bilimbi is good for our health but overconsumption can lead to digestion problems.