Jackfruit (Chakka) Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam – History
Jackfruit Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam, belonging to the family Moraceae (mulberry family) is one of the important and commonly found trees in the home gardens of India and Bangladesh. The term jackfruit is derived from the Portuguese word Jaca, which in turn is adopted from the word “Chakka” of Malayalam. Jackfruit tree produces the largest tree-borne fruits in the world and a mature tree can yield anywhere between ten to two hundred fruits.
At times these fruits which contain numerous hard cone-like points may be as heavy as 45 kg in weight, and up to 36 in. in length and 20 in. in diameter. Due to these characteristics in the ancient Indian language of Sanskrit jackfruit is referred to as Atibruhatphala (Ati = very, bruhat = big, phala = fruit) and Kantaphala (Kanta = thorny, phala = fruit).
In India, the trees are found distributed continuously in places where rainfall is high .Jackfruit is a popular food and ranks third in total annual production after mango and banana in South India. It is the national fruit of Bangladesh and is considered to be an extremely important tree by the natives. The plant is frequently referred to as ‘poor man’s food’ as it is cheap and plentiful during the summer season when food is scarce.
Historical reports suggest that jack fruit tree is supposed to have originated in the rain forests of the Western Ghats in the Southwestern part of India. However with time, the trees have been introduced to other parts of India and tropical regions of the world. Today, the trees are found widely growing in Bangladesh, Malaysia, Burma, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Philippines, in the Caribbean islands, in the evergreen forest zone of West Africa, in northern Australia, in parts of USA (Florida and California), Brazil, Puerto Rico, Pacific Islands Palau, Yap, Pohnpei, Nauru, Tabiteuea in Kiribati, Samoa, and other islands
- Jack fruit Chakkapazham -Thorns Outside Sweet and Nutritious Inside
- Did you know the different varieties of jack fruit dishes and products ?
- Jack Fruit – sumer-friendly vegetables- replenish out energies that are depleted from the heat.
- Forget maida and help yourself by using jack fruit flour
- Ready to Cook and Ready to Eat Jack fruit (Chakka) kitchen friendly products with no preservatives
- Mature Jackfruit -Raw Jack fruit – Jack Flour -The perfect Natural Remedy For Diabetes
- How to make Chakka puttu or Jack fruit puttu?
- Chakka Puzhukku, Chakka vevichatu or Raw jack fruit dish
- Chakka varuthathu or Jackfruit chips
- Chakka varattiyatu or Jackfruit halwa
- Chakkakuru Mezhukkupuratti or Jackfruit seed stir-fry
- Jack fruit soup with cream and jackfruit seeds
- Egg, Jack fruit seed and drumstick aviyal – Kerala style recipes
- Chakkakuru manga curry or Jack fruit seed curry with mango
- How jack fruit seeds fights wrinkles and makes the skin glow
Dehydrated Jackfruit (Raw or Matured) | Sliced and dried raw jack fruit, Arinja chakka chola unakkiyatu |Dehydrated Jack fruit Seeds – Chakka kuru | Jack Chapati Mix Jack fruit Seed Flour (Chakka kuru podi) | Jack Wondernut Cake |Jack fruit Flour (Chakka chola podichatu)|Jack fruit Varatty (Chakka varattiyatu) |Jack fruit Pickle – Red | Jack fruit Aravana | Jack fruit Chutney Powder (Chammanthi podi)