How To Make Kerala Puttu Using Bamboo Puttu Maker Traditionally – NatureLoC Recipes
Bamboo Puttu Maker
Hello all, My name is Manu, and I’m settled in California. My hometown is in Wayanad. I usually travel there once in 4 years. The last time I travelled there, a month ago, I tried puttu (Breakfast dish from Kerala, India). Now all of you may wonder, myself born in South India, is talking about a South Indian Dish. Usually puttu is steamed in aluminum cylinders, but here it was done in a peculiar way. Chandran chettan (chettan means brother in malayalam), was preparaing it in bamboo cylinders.
I tasted bamboo puttu for the first time, and it was heavenly and the tempting aroma was still on my mind, even after reaching home in California. I could still feel its taste on the tip of my tongue. As I completed my breakfast in the lush, forested region of Wayanad, I enquired about where I could get this bamboo puttu maker.
I’m a chip designer working for Nvidia Corporation in California. My wife had passed away in an accident 2 years back. And since then my parents live with me here.
On a sunday afternoon, I and my mum started preparaing bamboo puttu. We added the puttu flour into the bamboo cylinders. After eagerly waiting for 10 mins, I experienced the same heavenly tempting aroma that of Chandran chettan’s shop. We then removed the bamboo cylinder and then using a wooden stick, removed the steamed puttu by gently sliding it out. I completed the hot puttu along with my parents, as I washed down the remaining puttu particles from my hand.
It was 1 am, as I finish my blog here. It was nearly an hour, since I started writing, as I forgot about everything else. I forgot about the depression crawling under my heart, because I was myself enjoying describing my activites preparing the bamboo puttu. And these are the peaceful moments, when you are totally gone into yourself, forgetting everything else.
Given below is the recipe of bamboo puttu:
Ingredients – Bamboo Puttu Maker
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 2-3 cups water for steaming
Preparation – Bamboo Puttu Maker
Puttu Flour Mixture
- Take 1 cup rice flour in a bowl and add 1/3 tsp salt to it.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of water all over it. Accordingly add water depending upon the quality of the rice flour. Mix it well.
- Make small lumps with it, break those small lumps using your palm. Now pour 2 cups of water in the puttu vessel/pressure cooker.
- Keep it on the stove and let it get heated.
- Place the circular disk in the bamboo cylindrical vessel. Then add 2-3 tbsp of grated coconut and spread evenly.
- Add the puttu flour filing it half of the cylindrical vessel. And the finally cover it with 2-3 tbsp of grated coconut and cover with the top lid.
- Place the bamboo cylindrical vessel on the top of the base vessel in which the water must have come to a boil.
- Steam puttu on medium flame, till you see steam releasing from the top vents of the bamboo cylindrical vessel. Then switch off the flame.
- Remove the bamboo cylindrical part from the bottom vessel and allow the puttu inside to cool for 2-3 mins.
- Using the wooden stick, remove the steamed puttu by gently sliding it out.
- Serve it hot with kadala curry, veg stew or potato stew.