Nutmeg Fruit Pickle (Jathikka Achar) Recipe – NatureLoC Recipes
Nutmeg Fruit Pickle
Normally we discard the pericarp of nutmeg; the fruit part and we just use the inner seed commonly known as nutmeg and mace which is the red lacy covering over the seed. But the outer yellowish color fruit is also edible and this pickle is made using the same.
Nutmeg Fruit Pickle Ingredients
- 15 numbers fresh nutmeg fruit
- 2 tbsp ginger (crushed)
- 2 tbsp garlic (crushed)
- 4 pieces green chilly (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek powder
- 3 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 6 tbsp seasame oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- curry leaves
- Wash the nutmeg in running water. We use only the fruit part.
- Peel the skin off and chop the fruit into small pieces.
- Pour half of the oil in a pan and saute the chopped nutmeg fruit for 6-7 mins.
- Simultaneously in different pan add rest of the oil and add mustard seeds. Once it splutters add crushed ginger, garlic, green chilly and curry leaves.
- Saute until it starts to change color.
- Now add the sauteed nutmeg fruit along with the oil and mix well.
- Add vinegar, fenugreek powder, mix well and switch off the flame.
- Let it cool well and store in clean glass bottles.