Semiya Payasam Recipe | Easy Vermicelli Payasam | Vermicelli Kheer | NatureLoC
Semiya Payasam Recipe
The festival Onam is celebrated by Keralites irrespective of their religion, culture etc; it brings very good fond memories to all Malayalees. During Onam, the roads in Kochi is filled with the sound of street vendors competing with each other, the strong aroma of freshly fried banana chips, the lovely fragrance of flowers, the joy and laughter of families enjoying their Onam shopping and what not.
Everyone will be fond of different Onam memories with friends and families. That said, my Onam would be left incomplete if I don’t mention the visit to the Onam fair with my friends. I and my friends would skip the TIME entrance classes frequently and hang out at the fair or gulp down the hot and aromatic payasam. The palada payasam was hands down my favorite of all.
I guess I got too carried away talking about my sweet memories. Now going back to our topic on, the limelight of the Onam; Payasam. Whether it be the star, Palada payasam, Semiya payasam, or even the parippu payasam.
Share this recipe with your loved one’s and enjoy this delicious payasam at home.
Easy Semiya Payasam Recipe
- semiya or vermicelli – 3/4th cup
- sugar – 1/2 cup
- cardamom powder – 1/8th tsp
- milk – 500ml
- water – 200ml
- ghee – 2 tsp
- cashew nuts and raisins – 3 tbsp
- Heat ghee in a frying pan. Now add cashews and fry till golden color. Later add raisins and saute till they plump up. Keep it aside for garnish.
- Transfer semiya in the same pan. Roast it till they turn slightly golden on a low flame.
- Pour milk and water into the pan. Boil milk on a low to medium flame. Transfer the vermicelli in the pan.
- Boil it till the vermicelli is completely cooked. Keep stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder. Cook for 3-5 mins on a low flame until the semiya payasam thickens.
- Garnish semiya payasam with fried nuts and raisins. Serve hot.