Hot And Sticky Prawns Recipe – Prawns (Unakka Chemmeen) Indian Recipe
Dried Prawns – Unakka Chemmeen are shrimp that have been sun-dried and shrunk to a thumbnail size. They are used in many Asian cuisines, imparting a unique umami taste. A handful of shrimp is generally used for dishes. Used in curries, soup’s and various Indian recipies. It is also considered as best aquarium fish food.
Servings: 4 People
Prawns Recipe – Ingredients
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 50g palm sugar
- 300g raw peeled prawns
- 100g shallots (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 50ml sweet chilli sauce
- 1tsp fish sauce
- 40ml rice vinegar
- 2tbsp fresh tarragon (chopped)
For the salad
- 100g yellow pepper
- 40g chopped ginger
- 2tbsp olive oil
- salt and ground pepper
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add sugar and stir to dissolve, let the mixture bubble until it starts to caramelise and turns into brown color. (Don’t burn it)
- Add the prawns, shallots, garlic and cook for 2-3 mins, stir continuously so they do not burn, until the prawns turn pink.
- Add the chilli sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar and tarragon, let it cook for a min or until bubbling and the prawns are cooked through. Take the pan off the heat.
- Put all the salad ingredients except the oil and seasoning into a large bowl. Add the oil and season to taste, then toss to mix.
- Serve the salad with the prawns, and top the excess sauce from the pan. Serve at once.