Kerala Fish Curry Recipe | Meen Curry | Kerala Recipes | NatureLoC
Kerala Fish Curry
Kerala Fish Curry or Meen Curry can be prepared in multiple ways. You can try a fish curry without using coconut or coconut milk. This dish can also be called Toddy shop fish curry.
Fish is a good source of nutritional contents like Omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, minerals and vitamins. Usually Kerala Fish Curry (Meen Curry) is prepared in open mouth earthern cookware pot for a better taste. It can also be prepared by adding coconut or without coconut.
Kerala Fish Curry Recipe
- Cuisine: Kerala
- Cooking Time: 20 mins
- Preparation Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Serves: 4-5 people
- 1/2 kg fish (can be any fish)
- 2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 3 pieces kodampuli
- 1 inch ginger
- 6 garlic cloves
- few curry leaves
- 6 shallots
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- Wash the fish properly and keep it aside.
- Soak kodampuli in 2 cup hot water and add little salt to it.
- Chop shallots, ginger and garlic finely.
- Make a fine paste of kashmiri chilli powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder by adding water.
- In a cooking pan, heat 2 tbsp coconut oil, then add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. When it splutters, add the chopped shallots, ginger and garlic. Stir it well.
- Saute till it turns golden brown color, reduce the flame, and add the paste of chilli powder and turmeric powder. Stir it well.
- Add soaked kodampuli and water to pan. Allow it to boil.
- When it boils, add fish and salt to taste.
- Reduce the flame and cook for about 10-15 mins. Add curry leaves, and 1/2 tbsp coconut oil. Remove from the flame after a min.
- Kerala Fish Curry is ready. Keep the fish curry in the cooking pan for few hours, so as to allow all the spices to steep into the fish. Serve.